Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Pop Tab Gift Can Tutorial

I love using these pop tab gift cans to "wrap" children's gifts, jewlery, bath salts, baby onsies/booties, candy snacks or anything else that fits inside. I will now attempt my first tutorial...enjoy!

1. Any size pop tab can will do (I just happened to have a bunch of smaller fruit ones). Flip the can upside down and using a safety can-opener (it leaves a little bit of a dull lip which is how you will seal the can towards the end), take off the bottom of the can.


2. I found it helpful to do this step in small batches...guess what my kids had for snack that day!


3. After removing the bottom of the can, carefully peel off the label and set it off to one side.



4. Rinse and dry the can. You want it absolutely clean. You could even run it through the dishwasher.



5. While the can is drying, take the label and trace it on the back of whatever you are using for your new custom label (scrapbook paper, fabric, graphic print, etc). Cut your strip of paper.



6. Using stick/craft glue, attach your new custom label to the dry pop tab can.



7. Put your gift item inside the can. I prefer to wrap my gifts in tissue paper or fabric just to insure it doesn't get any goop on it during the last step. Using a hot glue gun, attach the bottom of the can back on and let dry.

Voila! Your pop tab gift can is complete!!! You can dress it up even more with ribbon tied to the pop tab itself or leave it plain.

2 comments:

wendy said...

I absolutely LOVE this idea!!! I am SO doing this!

wendy said...

ps-- I like the baby in the highchair in the background...undoubtedly eating diced peaches! :)

Snapbomb